After being fully restored for 5 years by the Vallourec Foundation Sidertube, the historic Cine Brasil in Belo Horizonte, (Brazil), reopened its doors one year ago as Cine Theatro Brasil Vallourec. Designed in 1930 by architect Alberto Murgel, it was the first Art-Deco style building in Belo Horizonte with French-inspired architecture.
Dedicated to art and entertainment, the complex covers 8,300 m² of built area, divided into seven floors. There are two theaters, comprising 1,200 seats, two floors with visual art exhibition halls; event rooms for up to 650 people, a restaurant, shops and areas for socializing.
The opening event of the Cine Theatro Brasil Vallourec was the exhibition Guerra e Paz (War and Peace), by Candido Portinari. Composed by two 140 m² panels, it was created in the 1950s to decorate the UN building in New York. The exhibition occupied the entire building and was attended by over 80 thousand visitors.
Since the reopening, Cine Theatro Brasil Vallourec hosted 250 artistic activities including exhibitions, dance, music and theater, reaching an audience of over 163 thousand visitors.
In 2012, Vallourec invested a total of 15.9 million Brazilian reais to develop 48 projects, benefiting over 586 thousand people. Cine Theatro Brasil Vallourec strengthens investment and social and cultural actions made by the company over the last few years, offering to the city of Belo Horizonte an everlasting space for cultural activities.
To learn more about the Cine Theatro Brasil Vallourec, visit its website (in Portuguese): www.cinetheatrobrasil.com.br